A History of Connaught Laboratories

A series of articles is being published here that detail the history of the Connaught Fund and particularly of Connaught Laboratories, the sale of which by the University of Toronto in 1972 led to the original establishment and endowment of the Fund. Connaught Labs’ rich legacy of research, innovation and production of essential biological public health products began in 1914 and after over a century, continues today in Toronto at the Sanofi Pasteur Canada Connaught Campus. The articles will focus on key episodes in Connaught Labs’ rich and unique legacy while it was a vital part of the University of Toronto.


Connaught History Series

Origins: From the Connaught Fund & Back to Connaught Laboratories

Sanofi Pasteur Canada Archives

The Connaught Fund was founded in 1972 when U of T sold the Connaught Medical Research Laboratories for $29 million. The lab had been established in 1914 to produce diphtheria read more

Connaught Laboratories & The Crucible of World War I

Sanofi Pasteur Canada Archives

As emphasized in the first article in this series, the Connaught Fund website originally included three lines about the history of Connaught Medical Research Laboratories; these lines jump from mentioning read more

Connaught Laboratories & The Making of Insulin

This series of articles was sparked by the three brief lines on the Connaught Fund website about the history of the Fund and of Connaught Laboratories. The first two articles read more


Check back soon for more articles!

About the Author

Christopher J. Rutty

This series of articles are written by Christopher J. Rutty, Ph.D., a professional medical historian with special expertise on the history of public health, infectious diseases and biotechnology in Canada. He earned his Ph.D. at U of T in the Department of History, with his dissertation on the history of poliomyelitis in Canada. Since completing his Ph.D. in 1995, Dr. Rutty has provided a wide range of historical research, writing, consulting and creative services to a variety of clients through his company, Health Heritage Research Services. Dr. Rutty holds an Adjunct Professor appointment in U of T’s Dalla Lana School of Public Health based in the Division of Clinical Public Health. He has also curated prominent historical exhibits for the Faculty of Medicine on the discovery of insulin @ MaRS, as well as the historical wall panels in the Medical Sciences Building’s C. David Naylor Student Commons space.